- Place your candle on a heat-resistant surface.
- Make sure that you trim the candle’s wicks to ¼” each and every time before you light your candle.
- Always burn your candle in a draft-free area. Any draft of wind (ceiling fans, A/C vents, windows, etc.) will make the candle flame flicker and smoke.
- When you are trimming your candle wicks, be sure to remove all wick trimmings and debris.
- Ensure that there is enough air space around your candle. Do not burn under a shelf, as this will inhibit the amount of oxygen that is getting to the wick of the candle and can cause the candle to not burn properly.
The wick has a “mushroom” type head on it after burning. How can I fix this?
- This is a “fragrance mushroom”, which is found on high quality, high performance and fragranced candles. This must be removed before relighting the candle by trimming the wick to ¼” and by removing any of the mushroom head and debris.
- Please remember to allow the candle to completely harden & cool before attempting to trim the wick.
My candle is leaving wax on the sides of the container after I burn it. Is this normal?
- This is commonly called “tunneling”, and is caused when on the first burn of the candle it is extinguished before a full melt pool is achieved.
- To get a full melt pool on any candle, it should be burned for a minimum of one hour for every inch the candle is in diameter.
- Most waxes have a “memory”, and if a candle is extinguished before a full melt pool is achieved on the first burn, the subsequent melt pools will not go past this first burn ring.
What causes a candle to smoke, and what can I do to avoid it?
- A well-made candle will create virtually no smoke when burning properly. Consumers often incorrectly believe their candles are sooting because of the wax type, fragrance, colorants or additives used in the candle’s formulation, but sooting is primarily due to flame and combustion disturbances. If the wick becomes too long, or an air current disturbs the flame’s teardrop shape, small amounts of unburned carbon particles (soot) will escape from the flame as a visible wisp of smoke. Any candle will soot if the flame is disturbed.
- To avoid this, always trim the wick to ¼ inch before every use and be sure to place candles away from drafts, vents or air currents. If a candle continually flickers or smokes, it is not burning properly and should be extinguished. Allow the candle to cool, trim the wick, make sure the area is draft free, then re-light.
Fire Safety & Candles
There’s a special beauty and tranquility to candles, but a lighted candle is also an open flame, and a potential fire hazard if not carefully monitored. In fact, accidental candle fires account for approximately four percent of all U.S. residential fires.
A study by the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission suggests that 85 percent of candle fires could be avoided if consumers followed three basic safety rules:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Never burn a candle on or near anything that might catch fire.
- Keep candles out of the reach of children and pets.
**The National Candle Association urges consumers to always follow the basic rules of fire safety when burning candles.
Why choose Desert Palm Candles when there are other potential fundraising partners?
We believe in giving back, first to the Sepsis Foundation and second, to our communities. By choosing Desert Palm Candles for your fundraiser, you’ve selected a partner who is truly focused on making a difference.
How much will our organization earn and is there a minimum requirement for a fundraiser order?
You will earn 40% of the net profits. So that means, 15% of our profits go to the Sepsis Foundation and 40% of the profits go to your organization. A total of 65% of our profits will go to other organizations! The minimum order needs to be $800 retail in order to qualify as a fundraiser order.
How long should our fundraiser last?
The length of the fundraiser is completely up to you, however based upon experience, we recommend 3 weeks for a successful fundraiser.
Which fragrances will we get to choose from?
We will choose our top 10 selling fragrances. We anchor our choices around floral (i.e., Honeysuckle) fruits (Citrus Cream), clean/fresh (i.e., Sunwashed Linen) and foods (i.e., Apple Cinnamon). The selection of fragrances will appeal to every supporter of your organization.
Can we customize our fundraiser?
Yes, you can choose one fragrance by which you can ‘brand’ the fragrance to your organization. For example, if your organization is called “XYZ”, you can choose one fragrance from our set of 10 fragrances, such as White Tea and Ginger, and change the name to XYZ. Our most successful events have incorporated this unique fundraising feature and our past fundraising partners have loved this!
How do I calculate the final selling price?
If you are not charging taxes, then it’s strictly the retail price of the candle.
If you are charging taxes, then the retail price on the fundraising form will be all inclusive, that is, retail plus the taxes.
Please note, shipping costs are not included.